Monday, February 28, 2011

Finally, a clue!

I started graduate school in Spring 2008 in a Master's program for Clinical Counseling, working toward licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist.

In January 2009 I was taking a course on child development in which we had a guest speaker come and talk to us about something called Sensory Processing Disorder.  She was an occupational therapist, and worked with children struggling with these issues.  As I listened to her presentation I became very excited.  This sounded like Katie!  Could this be the answer I'd been looking for?  I had to know more.

I purchased and read The Out-Of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz (highly recommended!) and came to realize that both of my girls had sensory issues, though Melanie's were much more mild, and I myself had these issues as well, and had never known it.  I had always been "picky" about certain things, but had never understood there could be a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment