Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"I'm never going back to school again!"

Very, very unhappy little girl after school today!  Broke my heart, as a mother, to see her so agonized.  Katie is convinced that she is stupid, that she is completely hopeless, because she cannot concentrate in school and get things done like the other kids in her class.  Had a whole long tearful tirade about how school is awful and no one there likes her and even the girls who are supposed to be her friends aren't nice to her and her teacher hates her and is always mad at her and her big sister hates her too and won't wave to her in the lunchroom and the neighbor girl ignores her too, and so on and so on.  Absolutely shattered and sobbing.

I'm so angry with myself for not getting on top of this sooner, before she really started to internalize it.  I thought I had to find the best place to get comprehensive care, but realize now that it can't wait any longer.  I talked to her about some people's brains having a harder time focusing and remembering, and that there is some medication we might be able to try to help her be less distracted.  At first she thought that was hopeless as well, but then she came out of bed at 10:40 last night to tell me she thought maybe she could try it.  Poor thing, laying awake that late worrying about it!  I decided to just start with her regular pediatrician for now and get her on some meds as soon as possible, and worry about more thorough assessment later when I find the "right" place.

No comments:

Post a Comment