Thursday, April 28, 2011

Earring Issues

My poor baby!  Katie woke up this morning telling me her right earring was 'bothering' her when she tried to turn it.  I had a look and was horrified to see that she had pushed the back on so tightly that it had dug into the skin and was bloodily encrusted to it.  Checked the other ear and it was the same so I insisted we take them both out immediately, which was quite traumatic and, I'm sure, painful, as they both look like they could be a bit infected.  Cleaned them out well with peroxide and applied Neosporin liberally to keep the backs soft.  

Feeling like an awful mother for letting this happen, though, how could I have known?  Why on earth didn't she say something sooner!! I can't go even a few minutes with an earring back too tight without adjusting it, how did she keep quiet?  Usually she is more than vocal about every little hint of discomfort!  Only explanation I can think of is inadequate tactile input, like she literally didn't feel it the way others would.  Poor thing.

1 comment:

  1. Thank heavens, her ears were not as bad as they looked! They're much better already.

    ReplyDelete