Sunday, November 23, 2014

Uh oh, Here We Go...

Things went pretty smoothly for the first few weeks of school.

I suffered a personal setback when I was laid off from my job and suddenly had to face the pressure of looking for another one again.  The very day I was told, I got a call from Ms Margot, just wanting to tell me how much she was enjoying working with Katie and that she was a very sweet little girl.  She also said, "I just wanted to tell you, Katie is very proud of the work you do, working with homeless people.  She told us all about how you help people who've never even had their own bed before."  I broke down crying then, telling her I'd just lost the job Katie was so proud of!  

By the end of Sept. Kate started having some conflicts with some classmates and a couple days in a row she came out to the car after school with her backpack held up covering her face like a shield because she didn't want people to see she was crying.  

When I talked to her the first day, she told me another girl got mad at her for "just being herself".  I asked what just being herself meant, and Katie did admit that she was being kinda goofy (she'd announced that she'd just farted). A girl at her table, Takyra, told Katie she was annoying (BIG trigger word for Kate!!) and went and told the teacher on her.  Though the teacher said nothing to her about it, Katie felt herself to be "in trouble" over it and she started to cry (she does any time an adult is brought into things).  She said she wished Takyra would have just asked her to stop instead of going to tell the teacher right away.  

The next day she came out to the car crying again.  This time she'd wanted to read a book Takyra had, and had asked Takyra to let her have it when she finished.  Instead Takyra gave it to someone else.  Katie confronted her about it, reminding her that she'd asked to have it next and Takyra told her she didn't need to cry over every little thing and to stop being such a baby (another major trigger word!).  Kate says she wasn't even crying at first when she was confronting her, it was only "after she said those things" that she'd started to cry, so it wasn't even fair, coz she wasn't even crying!  "Ugh, Takyra is so mean!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment